Saturday, October 29, 2011

"No, Its Not Melena...

... its M-I-L-I-N-A"

 In the last few weeks, on more than one occasion, I've been reminded that my name also has a medical meaning.  Spelled differently, Milina vs melena, but pronounced the same none-the-less.

I'm pretty happy that this meaning went above the heads of fellow school children, and my brothers, when I was growing up.  So the only person to make this fact known to me, and bring it up occasionally, was my Dad.  Jokingly of course, Dad was quite amused!

OK, if you want to know the meaning, go here.

Although it may sound the same as the medical meaning, and I've spent all my life spelling it, I'm really very proud of my name.

It was my Mother's maiden name, brought from Korcula, Croatia, when my Grand father  travelled to New Zealand at 16 years old. He was from a stunning place.  You can see more here.

This was where he and his family lived - just the green door and the window above was theirs.


Having three of my own children now, giving them names were big decisions.  There are so many factors to consider.
- What meaning did that name have to us?
- Will they need to be spelling it for the rest of their lives?
- Does it work with our surname?
- Does it have other meanings, or translate into other languages?
And all of these considered, could we see ourselves using these names on a daily basis in our family unit?

I can't believe I didn't check a medical journal beforehand, but I'm pretty sure Ruby, Jenson and Mila do not have any other medical meanings.

When I was at school, Milina was one of the "different" names.  However, living in today's multi-cultural society, who is anyone to say what is "different".
Buuuuuuuut, there are always some that break the rules, follow their own path.

So, do you or anyone you know have a name with another meaning??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really do love hearing from you. x