Saturday, October 8, 2011

Not Your Ordinary Libran

So, today Ruby, you are Four. Four!




While i was pregnant with you, I had a number of people say to me, "Oh, they'll be a Libran, they'll be laid back, and cruisy."  Well, I'd like to tell those people today that you are not your ordinary Libran.
Far from laidback and cruisy, and we figured that out pretty quickly. 

You have the energy and enthusiasm of our whole house hold put together, and then some. 

You have the intensity of a nuclear bomb, in both the up times and the down times.

You are the extrovert of the family and, at times, I wish I had your social skills.  You love to go shopping, or out anywhere for that matter, just so you can meet people.  You almost stalk people in shops just so you can introduce yourself and ask them as many questions as you can.  But you are always so polite, so as annoying as it sometimes can be, I am proud of that.

You know exactly what you want and you're not afraid of digging in your heels to get it.  I learnt that when you were just over 6 months old and weaned yourself from breastfeeding.  No amount of my persuasion and trying was going to make you change your mind. 

Sometimes I can see a lot of myself in you and other times I think where did this child come from.
On the good days, you are the most beautiful, thoughtful, well mannered girl.  On the bad days, I fear that if I don't figure out the best way to guide you through these first few years of life that we may not enjoy each others company as we grow older

A fave blog of mine, The Beetle Shack, blogged about a Raising Your Spirited Child by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka not so long ago.  Immediately I knew this was you  - A Spirited Child.  I'm only a few chapters through this book, but already I understand you so much more, and I'm seeing you in a whole new light, a more positive light.  I'm learning a lot about myself as well and it's given me a burst of energy that I do so need from being your Mother.

Funny story, I discovered a few months back that playing with rice is one of the few activities that you are happy to do for more than 5 minutes.  Up to an hour even, which is a huuuuge feat.  So yesterday, I get the rice out.  We haven't done it for a while, so you are quite excited about it.  I set you up, make a coffee, get my book and settle beside you to read quietly.  Ironically I start reading about sensory play for the Spirited Child and how it is a good method for them to calm themselves when their intensity levels are getting high, they apparently really enjoy the feeling.  I go into the kitchen to start preparing dinner.  When I return, there you are, stripped down, naked, sitting in the box of rice "because it feels nice".  We definitely won't be cooking that rice up!

I can't wait to watch you grow up and be the person you are meant to be.  And I do know, that with all of these traits that you have, these traits that i find hard to deal with now, you are going to make one hell of a human being.

No, you may not be your ordinary, laid back, cruisy Libran, but you, my dear, are extraordinary.

Love you my big 4 year old.
xoxo

4 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful description of your daughter - you've painted her character so honestly and beautifully. I especially love 'intensity of a nuclear bomb'!! ahaha

    Love a passionate, firey, spirited girl!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughter sounds beautifully passionate and assured! Your description of her was lovely to read. I have a feeling our little Everly is going to be a fiery one (she has inherited Daddy's hair, but Mummy's personality!)

    P.S. The rice incident is hilarious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I just sat and laughed through this post! SITTING IN THE RICE! I bet she was! What a sweet heart.

    That book has really changed my life, i hope it does yours too!

    xo em

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and your comment about 'enjoying each other when your older' really resonates with me. I wonder the same about Zephie- but then I remember that I was a spirited child (i'm actually a spirited adult too) and my mother and I are SO SO close. We adore each other- you will have the same with your little red. I'm sure. With a mother as intentional as you are, you will only see good results!

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really do love hearing from you. x