Friday, January 27, 2012

Getting Ready For Kinder

Ruby starts four year old kinder next week.  I'm quite excited for her.  She has been through a daycare system before, but kinder is that next step toward school, and I know she will thrive from it.  I'm excited that she'll make new friends, have new responsibilities, and start to really gain her independance away from the home.

I'm also excited about the possibilities it brings for me to meet new people, and hopefully form some new friendships in our new town.

I'm also nervous. A little nervous for her, a little nervous for me, and a lot nervous that I can manage to get all four of us out the door by 8:15 in the morning.  Lucky this is only two days a week.

To help us get ready in the morning and get out the door on time, I've given Ruby the responsibility to get herself ready.  I have to help with a few of the things, but otherwse, she's in control.  Together we thought of all of the things she needed to do to get ready, and earlier this week we made a chart documenting those things.  As she was getting ready, I took photos. She then selected the photos she wanted to use on the chart.

So, her morning should go like this:
 1. Breakfast


2. Get Dressed

3. Make your bed

4. Brush your hair

5. Brush your teeth

 6. Pack your bag

7. Put sunscreen on

We've given it a practice run and I've been so proud with how she's done everything so well, walking up the chart and proclaiming "correct" as she's completed each task.

Before we go to her first morning session this Thursday I'll be giving the packed lunches a trial, to make sure I'm giving her the right amount of food and that she can manage everything on her own. 

Do you have a morning routine that helps you get out the door on time?

Happy Weekend!!

3 comments:

  1. Oh those photos are so sweet and the chart is a fantastic idea. My little man is starting 3yr old kinder this year and i'm wondering how i'll have us all out the door at that time too! Good luck for next week. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jody. Jenson, who is 2, also wants a chart now. I'll do one for him next week, although I'm sure he's still going to need a lot of help. All the best for next week to you all too. xx

      Delete
  2. This is fabulous Milina! My Ruby did 3yo kindy last year and we start 4yo in a few weeks. I think this chart idea would be right up her alley. I was bummed to get 3 half days instead of 2 full days because that would have suited her (and me) much better, but thems the breaks. I am lucky she will do two mornings and one arvo and hubby will take her in the mornings, yippee!!! I don't rate my chances of getting four of us out the door by 8am.. good luck next week! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really do love hearing from you. x