Little M is now at the age where she is getting around, and everything that she can get her hands on goes straight into her mouth. The exploratory stage. Great fun, but I seriously need six pairs of eyes, especially with having two others who are like Hansel and Gretel and leave a trail of all manner of things throughout the house.
I phoned the poisons hotline to find out what could or needed to be done, and was luckily advised that these are not toxic, but rather pose a choking hazard. I think we have been very lucky in that they were both not toxic and she didn't choke.
The Victorian Poisons informations Centre have highlighted that young children are accidentally poisoned in the home at an alarming rate. In Victoria at least six children a day receive medical attention after swallowing poison. Yet the majority of parents do not think it will happen to children in their home.
So, here's a reminder to those with littlies about keeping your children safe from poisons:
- Lock poisons away or store out of sight and reach
- Put medications and chemicals away straight after use
- Keep handbags out of reach
- Take medicines in front of children
- Refer to medicines as "lollies"
- Underestimate your child's curiosity or ability to reach poison.
If you do need advise on poisons
In Australia call 13 11 26
In New Zealand call 0800 764 766 (0800 POISON)
We really can never be too cautious. Are your children safe from poisons in your home?