Friday, February 17, 2012

52 Weeks Of Grateful: A Letter To My Dad

My Dad's on facebook. It's pretty funny really, because I don't even know if he knows how to turn a computer on.  But his beautiful wife set him up with his own facebook account, so he could keep in touch with all of his family and friends, some of which he has only just been reaquainted with.  So it's actually pretty cool.

We used to write letters to each other.  My sister and I would often get home from school to find a little letter on our pillow, sometimes with a little chocolate.  On facebook the other day, Dad said he still had them all and that he treasures them, and had only just looked at them a few days before.  I LOVE that!

So now, probably almost 20 years later, here is another one to add to your collection Dad.



  
Dear Dad

Thank You!

You have been such a massive influence on my life.  The person I have become is largely because of you.

Thank you for always being so positive.  I can honestly say that I don't remember any complaints, or negativity, or seeing any signs of hardship by our situation.  You've taught me that whatever situation we are faced with, we face it with poise and we get on with it.

Thank you for the values that you instilled in me, and the rest of our family.  These values I carry with me to this day.  Sometimes I forget them, as I'm sure we all do, but know that they are very important to me.  These values, especially around the family unit is what I live for, daily, and are what I am striving to achieve.  If I can raise my own family with the same values as what you have taught, I know I have succeeded as your daughter.

Thank you for teaching me right from wrong.  But more importantly, thank you for trusting me to take my own path, to make my own mistakes, and to learn from them.  I'm still making mistakes, and learning from them, but I'm on the right path Dad.  My path is a good one.

Thank you for always supporting my decisions.  I chose good Dad.  My dream to have the father of my own children, as good as the father you were to me, is now my reality.  I know you're proud of us.  Know that I am very well looked after here.  I have the support that I could not ask any more from.  I am truly blessed.

Thank you for always giving me shoulder massages, he he :-).  You'd always groan and grumble and say "hurry up then", but you would never say no.  Oh how I love you for that!

I have such fond memories of my childhood.  We didn't have much, but we didn't need much, because we had eachother.  I think of all of the times we shared as a family; playing games, singing songs, fighting, camping, cooking, prayers.  I could not, would not ask for anything more.

The love you showed us, the love you showed me, was incredible.  As a parent now myself, I am in awe of your principles, and I hope my own, reflect yours.  At times you were a man of few words, but that just made it all the more powerful when you did have something important to say.  I listened at those moments.  I hope you know how much I love and respect you for all that you have done and the man that you are.  You are an example in humility.

I am truly blessed to have you as my father.  Perhaps I knew how awesome you were and that's why I chose you.  Either way, I am eternally grateful that you are my Dad.

I love you Dad, and I will always believe that families can be together forever.

Your girl

Milina xxx



Linking up with more Gratefuls via Maxabella Loves



13 comments:

  1. Oh Milina, that was just divine. Thank you for sharing your wonderful relationship with us. Your dad sounds like the most amazing person. I actually have tears in my eyes just thinking about what you mean to each other. Well done, Dad, well done. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the most wonderful tribute and letter of thanks that a parent could receive - thank you for sharing it with us, you have been truly gifted with such an amazing Dad.

    Happy weekend, I hope you have many special family moments to enjoy together,
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. just gorgeous. What a beautiful letter. what a beautiful relationship it must be. Truly blessed. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. a very special person I can see. he looks so happy.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a privilege to read such a lovely letter to your Dad, how lucky to have had such an excellent parent. Good on him, may he and you share many happy years ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful. It inspires me to write letters of thanks to my family. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome Mils, Dad IS the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh what a lovely, lovely letter. And how cute he used to write them to you when you were little. Just lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for your lovely comments xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful Milina! There is nothing like the bond us girls have with our fathers!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really do love hearing from you. x