Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Grateful for Miracles: For My Big Brother Reon

Thursday night, nearly two weeks ago, was a night I have always been dreading.

My sister, Vanessa, phoned around 8pm.  I knew in her "Hi", something wasn't right.  When she then said "Can you hear me?" I could barely reply "yeah".

When the next word that came out of her mouth was my brothers name "Reon.."  My breath was literally taken away.  For the next few minutes I sobbed, struggling to hear and process words.  Words like cardiac arrest, stopped breathing, long time to resuscitate, ICU, coma, brain damage, 40 hours. My body was anxious, shaking, and nauseous.

Reon, my brother, critically ill.  The night was long, thinking of  how his wife and girls were suffering, the rest of our family were suffering.  I had to be there.  Not knowing when, if, or how he would wake up made my throat tense.  I woke at 4am on Friday morning, unable to get back to sleep, and read through text messages we had sent each other.  They put me at ease.

When I woke on Friday morning I was no longer thinking the worst.  We still had a whole anxious day to wait to see if anything positive would happen, but I had a feeling he would be OK.  There is no way he would leave his girls without a fight, and I knew that.  But still, I had to be there.

You have fought like the man I knew you were. Your recovery has been nothing but miraculous, and although we know you still have some way to go, where you have got to already is amazing!

My stay, albeit short, was packed with things I have so much to be grateful for. 
: I was able to see you for a start, and know that even though you were still quite ill, you were on the road to recovery. 
: I was able to spend some time with my family. 
: My brothers and my sister all came together.  Something that has not happened since my wedding, nearly 4 years ago, and in true Graham style it did not take long for the conversation to turn to ...poos! 
: I was able to have face to face, real conversations with some of the people that mean the most to me.  
: Mila and I were able to meet my twin niece and nephew, who were born on the same day as Mila.

Reon, as you head into surgery tomorrow, I just want to let you know just how much you mean to me.

For as long as I remember, your heart (although dodgy!) has been big and supportive, nurturing and caring, thoughtful and giving.  I have memories as an excited child being taken places by you and Steph.  Memories as an excited teen going places with you and Steph.  Memories as an excited women sharing experiences with you and Steph.  You've given me guidance when I've asked for it, supportive words when I've needed it and plenty of laughs along the way.  I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all that you have done for me over the years.  So much more than one could ask for.  You truly are a light of magnificence and I am blessed to have you as my brother.


The word admiration does not do justice to the way I view your marriage and relationship with Steph, and how you are with your beautiful girls is just awe-inspiring.  We need more Dad's in this world like you.  And of course, my kids absolutely adore their Uncle Reon.

Be brave Reon.  I'll be sending you strength, love and warmth tomorrow.  I can't wait to see you again.

Volim Te Re. xx 








11 comments:

  1. Good luck for your brother.

    I'll think of you tomorrow.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending you and your family my thoughts, prayers and love x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Milina, this is just beautiful. I've been thinking about you, knowing something wasn't quite right. Thinking of you and your family. Sending love and prayers for your brother tomorrow xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh darling I knew something was up after your last pic on insta and then nothing. I have been thinking of you, and your family, wanting to touch base but give you the space you needed, at the same time. sending all our love and prayers for your brother's operation tomorrow, and to you. watching our loved ones in pain or battle is so very hard. when all feels stable and well again, we need to get our diaries out! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful words Milina. I have been thinking of you also. Much love to you and your family and I hope all goes well tomorrow. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post is so beautifully written Milina, my prayers are for you and your family and most especially for your brother. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was wondering if something had happened as I have missed your pics on IG. The words you wrote about Reon are beautiful. I'm sure he will love reading them. I'm thinking of you and your family today and I hope the operation goes well for your brother. All my love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all Ladies! You are amazing!! xxxooo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your brother sounds like a beautiful man Milina. I'm thinking of you all and sending lots of love your way xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Milina. So sorry to hear about this. What a lovely post. I hope your brother is doing ok. Lots of love. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I often think of you. I don't know why, but I do.

    The day has come and gone since the surgery and I hope (and pray) it all went well.

    Life can be so fleeting and is so fragile.

    Seeing those photos of your brother made me cry.

    How is everyone? Much love to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really do love hearing from you. x