Wednesday, August 1, 2012

My Boy

Oh My Boy. 

He makes my heart smile every day. Even when I'm upset with him, he makes me smile.  He looks at me with his big brown eyes, squashing them together as he blinks, trying to close his mouth in an unnatural way, and I have to try to contain the smirk rising on my face and the laugh rumbling in my belly.

My little koala bear.  He has always been the cuddliest and most affectionate out of all of our children.  And what a charmer.  When he was about 20 months, I was holding him one day and talking to Johnny when he most gently put his hand on my cheek to pull my face towards his and gave me the sweetest little kiss on the lips.  He knows when I'm upset now and promptly says "Are you happy?  I want you to be happy".  I do believe he will be a knight in shining armour for someone one day.

He's always been a quiet boy.  Very happy to play quietly by himself.  Busying himself for decent periods with drawing, or doing puzzles, or playing with one or two cars. Never many, just one or two.  I like to watch him play and I wonder what he's thinking.

But over the past few months, I've been witnessing a change.  The transition from a two year old to a three year old has been quite evident.  He's still cuddly, charming and affectionate, and likes to busy himself quietly with drawing and puzzles.  But he is also a whole lot more.

He is so much more self assured.  I can hear in his voice as he tells me stories or recollects events, getting so animated and excited, that he knows what he's talking about.  I love hearing that confidence in his voice, when at times he can be very shy. 

He is becoming a lot more independant, and being proud of his own achievements.  On the flip side however, he's also more aware that he can push the boundaries and likes to see how far he can take Mummy and Daddy before they mean what they say.

But the biggest change has been his becoming of age as a boy.  A real boy, a snakes and snails and puppy dogs tails kind of boy.  Give him dirt, mud, a big pile of mulch (of which we conveniently have), and he's in his element.  Add a drill, a hammer or a big stick and he's doubly happy.  He punches and grunts like a karate master, the sight of Daddy on the floor immediately makes him run with a double fly kick to any body part, and tackling his sisters is becoming a bit too frequent.  He at times even speaks to me with a deep grunty voice.  It is quite hilarious. 

And then other times I look at him and still see my baby boy, so little, so innocent... until he runs, with a scowl on his face and gives me a double jab to my ribs!













1 comment:

  1. He's adorable. I love this age, aside from the tantrums, when theyre becoming real little independent individuals. Their little personalities shining through!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really do love hearing from you. x