Thursday, August 16, 2012

Taking Another Street

Ebb and flow.  Highs and lows.  Ups and downs.

My life as a stay at home parent.  Sometimes I am feeling the highs of the highs, while at other times it's the lows of the lows.

I've been struggling these past couple of weeks.  Things have become overwhelming and heavy again.  I've been reflecting a lot on these times and what I learned from them.

I know what I need to do.  Firstly, it's looking after myself.

I know what I need to change.  A redirection of focus.

I know I need to take another street.

Autobiography in Five Short Chapters
By Portia Nelson

Chapter I
I walk down the street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I fall in
I am lost . . . I am helpless
It isn’t my fault.
It takes forever to find a way out.

Chapter II
I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I pretend I don’t see it.
I fall in again.
I can’t believe I am in the same place.
But, it isn’t my fault.
It still takes a long time to get out.

Chapter III
I walk down the same street
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I see it is there.
I still fall in . . . it’s a habit.
My eyes are open.
I know where I am.
It is my fault.
I get out immediately.

Chapter IV
I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I walk around it.

Chapter V
I walk down another street.








(Photo's from a quiet time this afternoon.  Reading library books on Ruby's bed, and watching the clouds go by).

3 comments:

  1. oh love, now your post is making me sad :( you are so right, with the ebb and flow, ups and downs, highs and lows. we need to get our diaries together for our trip out to you. if nothing else, we can distract you from the pot hole. big hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh honey, I get this too (maybe we all do?). I single day can bring both the highs and the lows and it can be so tough to deal with. I'm glad that you've got those coping mechanisms, taking some time out for you is such a great place to start xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I too have been feeling like this this week. In fact, I could pretty much have written this post. One minute I can think of nothing worse than going back to work and the next, I think I'll scream if I have to wipe another dirty face or bum, clear up lunch leftovers, tidy toys, deal with tantrums etc etc... It's tough isn't it? I think time out is always a good remedy - I'm booking in a night with the girls as we speak. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really do love hearing from you. x