Monday, October 29, 2012

Sisters: A Series {Part One}






As well as my brothers, I have been truly blessed to have a sister. 

We are 16 months apart and she is my oldest friend. 

Vanessa and I have been through a lot as sisters.  Growing up with three older brothers can certainly make for an interesting start to life for two young girls.

We've been best friends through our childhood.  Forever playing, making up our own songs and games.  We've endured the bitterness and separation that the teenage years caused.  We've shared heartbreaks, laughter (with and at eachother), memories, secrets, tissues in cups of milo, wet flannels put in beds, dishwashing liquid put in sandwiches, gum spat in hair.  Oh how these things make me smile.

Without my sister, I would not be who I am today.  She's pulled me in line when I've needed it.  She's showed me how to be compassionate and open minded.  She is one of the most generous people I know.  So generous with her time, her many talents and her great big heart.  And as far as Aunties go, there is no one better.  I am so proud to call her my sister, and so proud that she is an Aunty to my children.

Not a day goes by when I don't miss her.  Her birthday is nearing and she is celebrating by coming to spend some time with us.  I am so excited, and so so grateful that she will be here.  I cannot wait to see her with my family, to see how excited the children are that she is here, and to watch them just be together.  They will be knocking on her door at 7am, and will be wanting her to read them their bedtime stories.  They will relish every minute, and I know she will too.

Much like when Reon was here, we will have little agenda.  There will be the usual weekly routine of Kinder, dancing and a library visit.  But the rest of the time will be dotted with play, chatter, time in the garden, maybe a lunch date here and the obligatory op shop visit or four.

I cannot wait!  13 More Sleeps!

7 comments:

  1. Such beautiful words! Enjoy your time together. I am forever grateful to have sisters. They make the best friends xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and yes they certainly make the best friends

      Delete
  2. I love it when family visit! Beautiful photo of you both at your wedding, what a gorgeous dress you had! Is she from NZ? x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lisa. Yes, she'll be coming over from NZ. Can't wait! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful Milina. She sounds very special, just like you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how excited you are to have her here. you write so beautifully about her, as if the words just flowed and you never hit the delete button once. I hope her time here with you all feels loooong, and slow, and warm - in a big hug kind of way. sisters really are the best. I will always be a little sad that ruby won't get to experience the relationship I have with my sisters :( xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really do love hearing from you. x