Wednesday, July 17, 2013

THE BIRTHDAY CAKE


One of the best parts about my birthday is that I get to choose my own birthday cake.

Even though I have to make it myself, the choice is ALL MINE!

This year it was Nigella's Flourless Chocolate Lime Cake.

I loved it.  It's rich.  It's moist.  It's light.  It's tangy.  

But the best part?  The kids could only tolerate so much of it because of the rich tangy flavour that A) They were not asking for some every five minutes, and B) There was more for me to keep celebrating with over the next few days.  And since its not often now that I eat cake or foods with refined sugar, I do make it worth my while when I do indulge!

Nigella's Flourless Chocolate Lime Cake

  • 150 grams dark chocolate (chopped)
  • 150 grams soft unsalted butter (plus some for greasing)
  • large eggs
  • 250 grams caster sugar * 
  • 100 grams ground almonds
  • teaspoons best-quality cocoa powder (sifted)**
  • zest and juice of lime
  • icing sugar (to dust)
  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4/350°F, line the base of a 23cm / 9inch springform cake tin with baking parchment and butter the sides.
  2. Melt the chocolate and butter together either in a heatproof bowl suspended over a pan of simmering water, or in a microwave (following manufacturer’s instructions), then set aside to cool slightly.
  3. Beat the eggs and sugar together until about tripled in volume, pale and moussy. I do this using a freestanding mixer, but a hand-held electric model would be just fine too; obviously, by hand is possible but would demand tenacity and muscle.
  4. Mix the ground almonds with the cocoa powder and fold this gently into the egg and sugar mixture, followed by the slightly cooled chocolate and butter. Finally, fold in the zest and juice of your lime.
  5. Pour and scrape this mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the preheated oven for 40–45 minutes (though start to check at 35); the cake will be just firm on top, but still have a bit of wobble underneath.
  6. Remove from the oven and sit the cake in its tin on a wire rack to cool. Once the first heat has left it, drape a clean tea towel over the cake to stop it getting too crusty, though a cracked and cratered surface is to be expected; it’s crunch I’m avoiding here.
  7. When cold, unmould, dust with icing sugar if you wish and serve with the jaunty Margarita Cream that follows.
Notes:
* I used about half this amount of sugar and it was still sweet enough.  It may cause a difference to the balance of flavours of rich chocolate and tangy lime (do I sound like I know what I'm talking about?  I dont!!  Perhaps someone could shed some light on this if they know), but the final result still pleased me.

** I used 3tsp of raw cacao powder, as I find this has a richer flavour to cocoa, so did not use as much.  Again, still pleased me.

Nigella serves her cake with Margarita Cream.  See here for original recipe

1 comment:

  1. wow I wouldnt have thought of putting those two ingredients together, sounds delicious. Love your photos, I've pinned it for later.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I really do love hearing from you. x